Saturday 27 April 2013
Heeley Institute, S2
We asked the audience to think of a film for each of the seven deadly sins (and, no, Se7en wasn’t allowed – far too easy!). Here is what everyone came up with:
- Lust: Weird Science, Debbie Does Dallas, The Family Friend, Lust for a Vampire, A Short Film About Love, Crash, Chinatown, Last Tango in Paris, Lolita, Blow Up, Bond films, Emmanuelle.
- Gluttony: Monty Python’s Meaning of Life, Blow Out, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Like Water for Chocolate, La Grande Bouffe, Babette’s Feast, The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover, The Legend of the Holy Drinker, Chocolat, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- Greed: Wall Street, Bonnie and Clyde, Glengarry Glen Ross, A China Syndrome, Erin Brokovich
- Sloth: “Any French film – they’re so SLOW”, Withnail & I, The Big Lebowski, Arthur, The Hairdresser’s Husband, Clerks.
- Wrath: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Carrie, Thor, Taras Bulba, Old Boy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Aguirre: Wrath of God, Grapes of Wrath, Falling Down, 12 Angry Men, Look Back in Anger.
- Envy: Atonement, Single White Female, Gladiator, LA Confidential, 101 Dalmations, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Bambi, anything by Woody Allen, O.
- Pride: Vanilla Sky/Abre Los Ojos, The Lion King, Goodfellas, Dangerous Liaisons, Citizen Kane, The Pride [sic] of Miss Jean Brody, Chariots of Fire.
Well done everyone! Some great suggestions there. We may have to do a season on this.